Antibiotics: fluoroquinolones, only for the case of an emergency
Certain antibiotics, called fluoroquinolones, intended to be prescribed only for serious infections for which other medicines are available. Reason serious side effects that can occur when taking Ciprofloxacin, Levofloxacin, Moxifloxacin, Norfloxacin and Ofloxacin are.
Serious side effects of fluoroquinolones have long been known. The above-mentioned active substances are under suspicion, Tendons, muscles, joints, and damage the nervous system permanently. Among the known side effects of inflammation or tears of the Tendons, muscle and joint pain, insomnia, depression, strong exhaustion or a limited memory.
In the past, the safety of this drug was evaluated on the European level and, as a result, their application is limited. (aponet.de reported). Now a Red-Hand letter informed Doctors about the time at which the medication must not be used any more:
- for the treatment of milder infections, such as acute Bronchtis, throat, or tonsillitis,
- for the prevention of travellers ‘ diarrhoea or recurrent infections of the lower urinary tract,
- for non-bacterial infections, for example, a chronic inflammation of the prostate
- in the case of mild to moderate infections, including uncomplicated cystitis, exacerbation of chronic Bronchitis and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or a bacterial sinus or ear infection. The only exception to this is when other antibiotics that are usually recommended for these infections, are not suitable,
- Patients who had serious side effects with a quinolone or fluoroquinolone antibiotic.
Particular caution is advised in the elderly, also in patients with impaired renal function, Organ transplants, and such, the cortisone-containing medicines. Patients should stop treatment if you notice signs of the above mentioned side effects, and your doctor.